Friday, February 6, 2009

Elephants and other Thoughts

The previous post mentioned some Rocos I was waiting to receive, and these arrived safely and with a nice bonus...a sixth Panther and a Panzer IV. The new arrivals have created an unexpected dilemma for me, as it demonstrated that my existing knockoff PzIV and JgdPzIV were actually significantly over scale! I knew it was large next to the StuG III, but now that I've seen it next to both the Panther and the Roco PzIV, I'm convinced they're overscale. So I may well actually put them up for sale too.

On to Elephants.... I've acquired a copy of the new TooFatLardies ACW rules, charmingly titled "They Couldn't Hit an Elephant" from a quote attributed to a Union general who assured his staff that the Confederate skirmishers "couldn't hit an elephant at this distance" right before dying from a shot by said skirmishers. I haven't had time to read through the whole thing yet, just the first few pages. It looks very hopeful though.

The recommended base size for TCHAE up to 15mm figures is 20mm x 20mm, and over 15mm is the 40mm x 40mm. I think I've decided, however, because of the way the figure strips that several of my ACW are on are set up, that I shall use the 40mm x 40mm bases for my 10mm figures. I should be able to get up to 3 or 4 rows of 3 or 4 figures per row on a single stand, with room left at the back for some sort of label identifying the unit. I think I shall like the look of that. I'm still not sure if I'm going to end up clipping apart the 3-figure strips into singles for mounting. The strips are rather thick, so I'm also pondering if I should eventually try to cut the bottoms off so that I don't have to build up putty or something around them to make the top level.

No comments: