Saturday, April 28, 2007

Plasti-Dip vs Gesso

I've now largely abandoned Plasti-Dip, due primarily to the difficulty of getting a spray-on substance onto all surfaces of a figure without multiple sprays, combined with the troublesome actions needed to try to prevent the rubber from solidifying between the figure and adjacent surfaces, causing the figure's own coating to rip when pulled away from the surface.

I'm now experimenting with Liquitex Acrylic Gesso, and much happier with it. Credit Stokes Schwartz of the Grand Duchy of Stollen blog with pointing me that direction.

Monday, April 9, 2007

Warrior Frogs: Step 1

I had a few minutes Sunday evening, so I decided to get out a few of the Warrior Frogs, which I got for the price of shipping from Greg Horne. Thanks, Greg!

I wanted to try a pair of the frogs, and the first pair that came out were pikefrogs, so I did the basic green coat on the pair of them, and had a little green paint left, so I added in one of the mallet frogs. It was my first try painting with acrylics, and also my first try painting a metal figure. Obviously, still more work to do, and I can see they're going to need touch-up as well. below.

Sunday, April 8, 2007

New Plasti-Dip Experiment

Today, I've had an idea, which is presently waiting to dry so I can evaluate it. I've taken a cardboard box, set on its side so the open top faces out towards me. I screwed two screws into the upper surface, and tied a string of monofilament between them in a hanging loop, onto which I've placed a sprue of HaT Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr. I then sprayed it with the Plasti-Dip.

We shall see if this allows me to get good coverage on the Plasti-Dip without the issue of it becoming stuck to the surface on which the figure rests, and then ripping off the figure during removal. If this works, then coming weeks may see some of these figures still on sprues undercoated with Plasti-Dip so painting can actually begin.